Sunday, September 6, 2009

Insomnia

8:30PM - Watching the CAL/Maryland football game. In the midst of my screaming boys, a neighbor's rumbling hot rod, and the TV at full volume, I could swear I hear/feel a tremor. You know, one of California's natural wonders. Nothing confirmed and no harm done, so I chalked it up to be my imagination.

9:30PM - CAL is taking care of the Terps. I'm losing interest and have gone in-and-out of a state of sleep. I'm now grumpy that someone has hijacked the TV during one of my states of unconsciousness, so I get my arse off the couch and head upstairs to bed. Mr. Sandman is calling.


2:47AM - Something awakens me. With all the bedroom windows open, I hear the barking and howling of the neighborhood canines. They too, felt/heard something just now. I'm not a big fan of shakes or earth movements of any sort. This, especially, being a home owner. It was a short tremor, but enough to get me out of bed and see what's going on. I check the USGS website and they confirm that the dogs aren't barking at the moon. It's a 3.9 - 4.0 magnitude with the epicenter just down the road from me (Hollister). A little too close for comfort.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc71271995.php

4:00AM - After reviewing the USGS website, Tweeting, updating Facebook, and paying my DMV registration, I come to the realization that this is the second morning in a row in which I have been awaken at this god-awful hour. I am not very happy about this, considering I have been making an effort to get to bed early to get some much needed rest. Typically, I can function on about 5 to 6 hours of sleep, but averaging 3-4 hours the last two nights is not cutting it! I just feel worthless during the day, especially with all the energy and effort I usually exert on my morning runs. Now I'm really concerned because I have a 15 miler scheduled later this morning. UGH!

4:36AM - I had already made the decision to attempt to sleep. I had grabbed a book to read which usually does the trick. Nope. I'm enthralled in my read. It's a book of poetry/short stories at that (Ryan Adams - Infinity Blues)! Things do not look good. Is it too early/late to have a glass of wine or some Jameson's?

I find it interesting that back in my youth, I could stay up all night and party and such. Get a couple hours of sleep and still be fully functional the next day. In my college years (and there were many), I had only accomplished one "all-nighter" ever. I remember staying up all night with some roommates, drinking bad coffee, popping No-Doze, and attempting to cram for our finals. I ended-up completely bombing the final the next day and swore I would never do that again. I felt that if I am going stay up all night and bomb on a test, I better be at a bar enjoying some beverages and the company of some co-eds. That never really happened :)

Funny enough, two nights ago when this bout of insomnia had decided to pay me a visit was when I read the following Runner's World article about Tera Moody, a U.S. marathoner who has been dealing with insomnia since the 6th grade.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--13267-0,00.html

They say some causes of insomnia can be related to stress, anxiety, and/or depression. Believe me, I have none of those symptoms. I've recently been promoted at work, have a wonderful family, great friends, etc., etc., but is there something that I'm missing? I don't think so, but being up this early in the morning gets you to analyze things a little closer than usual. I'm sure this is a one-time deal and it will go away sooner than later. By the way, I hope you realize at this point, I have given up the idea of going back to sleep :(

The sun is about to rise. My office window is open with cool air coming through and a whiff of skunk. WTH! Another blog in the books. I hope this early wake-up call isn't what it takes to keep up with this blog.

This blog was brought to you by a 3.9 tremor, the cool sounds of Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane, the country vibe of Whiskeytown, a classic Grateful Dead show (07/18/09, Deer Creek, IN), and a couple of cups of Daybreak Caribou Coffee.

Oh, and about that run...

CHEERS,
G.

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya. Insomnia sucks! The other night I ended up watching the movie "Joe Dirt" at 3am cause I couldn't sleep. Love the blog... can't wait to read more.

    ~noelia

    ReplyDelete